with make workshop founder diana rupp,
author of SEW: sew everything workshop
New York Magazine
“BEST OF NEW YORK: SEWING”
seven 2-hour classes + “free” intro to sewing machine = 16 hours // $500 + supplies
by popular demand: a 3-part learn-to-sew series that teaches all the basics of fashion sewing in one easy package!
the plan is to meet for two hours once a week for seven weeks. this structured curriculum is offered for those of you who want an intensive and progressive introduction to the world of fashion sewing, with a focus on:
- how to read (and successfully follow!) a commercial pattern
- layout and cutting fabric the right way
- developing good machine sewing skills and working habits
- professional seam finishing and pressing techniques
- the ability to install an invisible zipper with complete confidence
- making simple adjustments to patterns for a perfect fit
- the ins-and-outs of lining a garment
- and handsewing skills for couture-quality hems!
note on sewing skills: if you’re more or less comfortable threading a sewing machine, you’re ready for this class. if you’ve never worked on a sewing machine, or don’t remember how to (which is not uncommon) then you’ll need to take an intro to sewing machine before starting fashion lab.
after you have registered for the lab, email us the date you’d like to attend the intro, and we will add you to the class list for free! ($80 value; this offer cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts.) if you have any questions about your skill level, please refer to the intro class description (click on link above) or send us an email. we’ll be happy to advise you!
*please note that this session skips mon may 25 (memorial day)